TERMS & CONDITIONS
Terms & Conditions
COURTS (Singapore) Pte Ltd ("COURTS") has two (2) plans under the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty (EW) Program for both Electrical & IT (Section 1) and Furniture Products (Section 2) product categories:
- the "GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty (EW) Basic Service Contract", and
- the "GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty (EW) Enhanced Service Contract".
You have indicated your choice of the Contract you require for the Product purchased (the "Product") on the sales receipt/ tax invoice and have agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions relevant to the contract chosen as set out in this Contract. The term of the Contract is between 2 to 5 years from the purchase date or delivery date (whichever is later and inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty period), depending on the term selected as set out in the sales receipt/tax invoice. The Product must be purchased new from COURTS and the Contract purchase must be made within 30 days from the purchase date or delivery date of the Product (whichever is later).
In this Contract, the following words have the following meanings:
- "we," "us" and "our" refer to COURTS.
- "you" and "your" refer to the purchaser of the Contract.
- "Basic Coverage" means:
- For Electrical & IT: coverage for mechanical and electrical defects and coverage for food spoilage (on the terms set out below)
- For Furniture Products: coverage for "Structural Damage" to the Product (on the terms set out below)
- "Excess" means the amount you have to pay for every claim
- "Extended Coverage" means International Coverage, Accidental Damage, Power Surge Protection Coverage, Gasket Protection and Rechargeable Battery Coverage, all of which terms are defined below.
- "Product(s)" means consumer furniture, electrical or electronic appliances purchased new from us that is covered by this Contract.
For the avoidance of doubt, all coverage, except for International Coverage (as defined below), apply only to repairs and replacements done in Singapore and for Products used in Singapore.
Section 1: ELECTRICAL & IT
The table below sets out the coverage you are entitled to, depending on the Contract you have selected:
|Plan||Coverage||Limit (if any)|
|GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Basic Service Contract||Basic Coverage with Excess||Coverage for mechanical and electrical defects is up to the purchase price paid for your Product ("Limit") less $50 Excess or 30% of Claim Amount whichever is higher that is payable by You for each and every claim|
|GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Enhanced Service Contract||Basic Coverage and Extended Coverage||For Basic Coverage, no applicable Limit for mechanical and electrical defects|
A. BASIC COVERAGE (APPLICABLE TO ALL ELECTRICAL & IT CONTRACTS)
The Basic Coverage is applicable to all Electrical & IT Contracts unless otherwise specifically provided. The Basic Coverage is for mechanical and electrical defects to your Product and applies only to repairs and replacements done in Singapore and for Products used in Singapore. If you have selected the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Service Contract, the Basic Coverage for all repairs and replacements made to your Product shall not exceed the Limit. We have the right and option to either repair or replace your Product with another of like kind, quality and specifications. Due to technological advances, the replaced product may be of a lower retail value than the faulty Product. Replacement parts may be new, original or non-original manufacturer's parts that conform to factory specifications and shall be determined at our sole discretion. If food items are spoilt due to a faulty refrigerator covered under the Contract, we will reimburse you for such food spoilage up to a total of S$250 per incident provided that the food spoilage has been verified and inspected within two (2) working days of the incident by our authorized repairer and properly documented and submitted to us. The Basic Coverage will be effective from the date of expiry of the manufacturer's warranty period until the expiry of the Contract unless coverage is no longer applicable or is terminated as provided under the terms of this Contract.
B. INTERNATIONAL COVERAGE (APPLICABLE ONLY TO THE GURU by COURTS EXTENDED WARRANTY ENHANCED SERVICE CONTRACT)
This coverage is for mechanical and electrical defects, to be repaired at a manufacturer or authorised service centre outside of Singapore (the "International Coverage"). You are required to provide details of new address if you have relocated to a foreign country. We shall bear no responsibility if the manufacturer of your Product does not provide any service or support at the new geographic location. If the repair estimate exceeds 65% of the purchase price of the Product or, if the manufacturer or authorised service centre determines that a replacement is necessary in the circumstances, you must call the COURTS Extended Warranty Hotline or e-mail us to obtain further instructions. We have the sole discretion to determine if the Product should be repaired or replaced. You must also contact GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Hotline or e-mail us to arrange for the submission of the original repair or replacement invoice and/or job sheet that includes a statement of the defect or fault, the service performed and a breakdown of the repair cost with a copy of the Sales Receipt /Tax Invoice within 60 days of the repair or replacement. An approved claim will be reimbursed in Singapore currency at the applicable exchange rate prevailing at the time of the claim. If you have relocated to a destination outside Singapore or do not permanently reside in Singapore, you may, under the International Coverage, repair the Product up to the Limit but, this International Coverage does not apply to the Basic Coverage, the Accidental Damage Power Surge Protection Coverage, Gasket Protection and the Rechargeable Battery Coverage. The Contract will terminate once the Limit of cover is exhausted or, the Product is replaced (whichever is the earlier). International coverage will be effective from the date of purchase or delivery of the Product (whichever is later) until the expiry of the Contract, unless, coverage is no longer applicable as provided under the terms of this Contract.
C. COMPLIMENTARY COVER FOR ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE, POWER SURGE PROTECTION AND GASKET PROTECTION (APPLICABLE ONLY TO THE GURU by COURTS EXTENDED WARRANTY ENHANCED SERVICE CONTRACT):
- This complimentary cover applies to the following: Mechanical or electrical failure or defects of the Product due to accidental physical impact or spillage of liquids. Coverage for cracked screen, lenses and glass panels of the Product due to accidental physical impact is also included (collectively referred to as "Accidental Damage"),
- Mechanical or electrical failure of the Product caused by sudden power surges ("Power Surge Protection"), and
- Hardened gasket for Front Load Washers resulting in water leakage ("Gasket Protection").
The complimentary cover for Accidental Damage and Gasket Protection shall commence from the date of purchase or delivery of the Product (whichever is later) and expire 3 years from such date of purchase or delivery or upon the expiry or termination of the Contract (whichever is earlier). The complimentary Power Surge Protection will commence from  expire 5 years from such date of purchase or delivery or upon the expiry or termination of the Contract (whichever is earlier). You are only entitled to make one claim for Accidental Damage, one claim for Power Surge Protection and one claim for Gasket Protection during the term of the Contract. Accidental Damage Protection does not cover damage due to your negligence, omission or default in your use or care of the Product.
D. COMPLIMENTARY RECHARGEABLE BATTERY COVERAGE (APPLICABLE ONLY TO THE GURU by COURTS EXTENDED WARRANTY ENHANCED SERVICE CONTRACT)
There will be a one-time replacement of the original battery packaged with the Product if the original battery cannot be charged under all circumstances. Coverage is for one (1) year from the purchase or delivery date of your Product (whichever is later).
E. EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE
No coverage will be provided for/if:
- Non-operating and cosmetic items, paint, color, or Product finish, accessories used in or with the Product, external cables and cords, or add-on options incorporated to the Product;
- Glass and lens unless specifically covered in the Contract;
- Software (including operating system and any stored data), defects resulting directly from software installation and/ or removal, computer virus, virus prevention, and other peripherals;
- Hardware that has been added after the purchase of the original Product;
- Consumables such as vacuum cleaner belts, toner, print or ink cartridges, bulbs, compact discs, digital tapes, etc.;
- All batteries (including regular non-chargeable batteries and rechargeable batteries) unless otherwise specifically covered in the Contract;
- External faults such as wiring, electrical connection or plumbing, piping, trunking, fitting, realigning of signal receivers (poor reception), and consequential loss of any kind;
- Accidental or intentional physical damage and damage by water unless specifically covered in the Contract; Failure caused by a voltage converter and/or applying incorrect voltage to the Product; The Excess of $50 or 30% of Claim
- Amount for each and every claim made by You if you are covered under the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Basic Service Contract.
Section 2: Furniture Products
A. BASIC COVERAGE:
This Contract covers "Structural Damage" to the Product. Structural damage refers to:
- damage to frames caused by warp and breakage;
- bending and breakage of metal components;
- separation of seams, i.e. the breakage of threads that hold the seams together, with the thread holes still intact without any material tearing;
- damage to mechanical or electrical parts; broken zips, castors and buttons
- peeling of the finish and failure of assembling joints on solid wood, veneered or laminated furniture; and
- white marks on solid wood, veneered or laminated furniture caused by water.
We shall, at our sole discretion, repair or replace your Product with another of like kind, quality and/or specification as we deem appropriate in the circumstances. Replacement parts may be new, original or non-original manufacturer's parts that conform to factory specifications and shall be determined at our sole discretion. The replacement product may be of a lower retail value than the faulty Product and shall not exceed the purchase price paid for your Product. Coverage will be effective from the date of expiry of the manufacturer's warranty period until the expiry of the Contract.
B. ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE COVER (APPLICABLE ONLY TO THE GURU by COURTS EXTENDED WARRANTY ENHANCED SERVICE CONTRACT):
Accidental Damage Cover is provided on a complimentary basis under the Contract for:
- Accidental damage to upholstery caused by burns or punctures.
- Accidental damage (cuts only) by children
- Accidental damage to upholstery and cuts caused by pets (other than damage caused by urine or faeces, blood and vomit).
- Cracked glass or mirror or marble for tables or wardrobes (collectively referred to as "Accidental Damage").
The coverage for Accidental Damage commences from the date of purchase or delivery of the Product (whichever is later) and expires 1 year from the date of purchase or delivery (whichever is later).
- You can only make one claim under Accidental Damage Cover.
- Accidental Damage does not cover any damage caused by negligence, willful action/omission or default.
C. DUTY OF CARE:
This Service Contract will not apply if the manufacturer's recommended instructions on the care and cleaning of the Product and its structure and upholstery are not complied with. Furnishings should be cleaned, vacuumed and rotated regularly and kept away from direct sun exposure.
No coverage will be provided for / if:
- Normal wear and tear of the Product (unless otherwise covered by the relevant c).
- Arm caps and scatter cushions.
- Lost / misplaced buttons.
- Peeling and lifting of bonded leather and bycast leather.
- Accidental or intentional physical damage (such as chipping denting, scratching) unless otherwise covered by the Contract. Cracked glass or mirror or marble due to omission, negligence or default.
- Repairs to upholstery caused by burns and/or punctures if tears and/or rips are sighted on the same upholstery.
- Damage resulting from any type of stains, general soiling from normal use, fabric failure including fraying, fading or use of non-colour fast materials. Damage caused by excessive heat.
- Furniture in storage or transit.
- Do-It-Yourself furniture or furniture that is assembled by you.
The following Clauses III to VIII are applicable to all Contracts:
III. GENERAL EXCLUSION
We will not cover you under for / if:
- Products that are still covered by the manufacturer's original written warranty, repairer's warranty, or any other warranty still in effect;
- Any defects that are the subject of the manufacturer's recall;
- There has been unauthorised modification(s) to the Product, the serial number of the Product has been altered without authorisation, failure to follow manufacturers' instructions on installation, operation or maintenance of the Product, repairs to the Product performed by a non-authorised repairer, any items not affecting the function of the Products;
- You fail to comply with the manufacturer's recommendations on routine maintenance, inspection, cleaning, lubrication, external adjustments and any other instructions relating to the use and/or upkeep of the Product;
- Commercial use (multi-user organisations), public rental, use for profit or communal use for multi-family housing;
- Shipping charges, damage charges, express service charges, transportation damage, removal, installation or reinstallation of the Product, products on loan during the repair process;
- Any loss or damage due to burglary, theft, corrosion, animal and insect infestation, misuse, neglect and abuse;
- Diagnostic fees where no defect has been found or noted;
- Defects and on-site service charges not covered by the manufacturer's original written warranty, unless specifically covered in the Contract;
- Any loss or damage to the Product resulting from fire or flood, howsoever caused;
- Any loss or damage to the Product resulting from fire and an act of God (including without limitation, events such as earthquake, war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or warlike operations, civil war, civil commotion); or
- Any loss or damage due to burglary, theft, corrosion, Insect infestation, pet damage (unless specifically covered by the Contract), misuse, neglect and abuse.
IV. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
We will not cover any direct or indirect loss or injury to a person or loss or damage to property or any incidental, contingent, special or consequential damages including, but not limited to, losses incurred due to any delay in rendering any services related to this Contract and/or loss of use during the period that your Product is at an authorized repairer and/or while awaiting replacement parts, even if you might have informed us of the possibility of such loss or damage.
We will replace your Product with one of like kind, quality and/or specification if the Product is not repairable or beyond economical repair. The replaced Product (the spoilt unit) shall become our property. We reserve the right to pay you the original purchase price of the Product if we are unable to give you a replacement product that matches the quality and specifications of the faulty product. Neither COURTS nor AIG will be liable under the Contract if you do not submit the Product to an authorized repairer for repair before (a) the expiry of the Contract or (b) if a breakdown report has been submitted before the expiry of the Contract, within 30 days of its breakdown.
The Contract will terminate if any of the following events occur:
- upon expiry of the term of the Contract; or
- when you have relocated overseas or are no longer residing in Singapore and you have made a claim under the International Coverage for repair up to the Limit (only for GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Enhanced Service Contract); or
- when you have made a claim for repair for mechanical and electrical defects up to the Limit (GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Basic Service Contract); or
- when the Product has been replaced (only GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Basic Service Contract); or
- if your Product is surrendered; whichever is earlier.
We may, at our discretion, terminate this Contract if any installment payment for the service fee for this Contract remains unpaid for a period of three (3) months. Neither the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Basic Service Contract, GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Enhanced Service Contract is an insurance policy or guarantee. Each Contract is a service contract. It is neither a guarantee nor a promise relating to the nature of the material, workmanship or performance of your Product covered by the Contract. Accidental Damage Protection, Power Surge Protection, and Gasket Protection provided under the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Enhanced Service Contract are benefits we have under an insurance policy which is underwritten by AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd. and extended to you on a complimentary basis.
VI. ASSIGNMENT OF CONTRACT
If you sell or transfer your Product to another person within the period of the Contract, you must call the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Hotline within 14 days of such sale or transfer to transfer the Contract to the new person. It is also important to report your new address in the event you move and take the covered Product with you. You may only transfer this Contract if you had purchased the Product with cash or you do not have any outstanding amounts owing to us at the date of such transfer.
VII. PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION
This Service Contract is subject to terms and conditions set out below. Kindly take a few moments to check that all the particulars, specifically Your personal information printed in this Service Contract are correct. Failure to revert within 14 days from the date of this Service Contract will mean that all Your personal information contained herein are complete, true and accurate. Any personal information collected by and retained by Us is for the purpose of fulfilling Our obligations under this Service Contract as well as to update You on any of Our related services. Kindly be informed that in order to fulfill Our obligations under this Service Contract, We will provide Your personal information to AIG.
You agree and consent that AIG may collect, use and process Your personal information (whether obtained in this application form or otherwise obtained) and disclose such information (whether in or outside of Singapore) to the following:
- its group companies;
- its (or its group companies') service providers, reinsurers, agents, distributors, business partners;
- brokers, legal process participants and their advisors, other financial institutions;
- Processing, underwriting, administering and managing your relationship with AIG;
- Audit, compliance, investigation and inspection purposes and handling regulatory governmental enquiries;
- Compliance with legal or regulatory obligations, risk management procedures and AIG's internal policies;
- Managing AIG's infrastructure and business operations; and
- Carrying out market research and analysis and satisfaction surveys,
which in turn may be disclosed by AIG to individuals, service providers & organizations associated with AIG or any other selected 3rd parties (within or outside of Singapore, including reinsurance & claims investigation companies & industry associations) for the purpose of storing and processing this application and providing subsequent service(s) for this purpose, AIG's financial products and services and data matching, surveys and to communicate with you for such purposes and in order to support back-end processing and services associated with this Service Contract. You understand that you have the right to obtain access to and to request correction of any personal information held by us and/or AIG concerning yourself. Such request can be made by contacting us as stated above. By submitting your personal information, you are indicating your consent to allow us and/or AIG or any other selected third parties to keep you posted on any other products, services and upcoming events. If you do not wish to be contacted by us or AIG, you can opt out anytime by calling or writing to us or AIG, as the case may be.
If you have not opted out, you have also consented to AIG, its group companies, service providers and business partners using, processing and disclosing your personal information to:
- Enroll you in contests, prize draws and similar promotions
- Contact you to market other insurance, and/or its, its group companies and /or its business partners' financial products and / or services.
If You have any questions about AIG's collection, use and disclosure of personal information, you may contact AIG's Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIII. FOR SERVICE IN SINGAPORE, CALL GURU by COURTS EXTENDED WARRANTY HOTLINE 1800 419 1811
When the product failure occurs due to an electrical or mechanical defect, you must call the GURU by COURTS Extended Warranty Hotline at 1800 419 1811 to report the product failure during office hours. Our Customer Service Representatives will be ready to guide you through the service process. To expedite service, please ensure that you have your contract details readily available before placing the call. If the product failure is not reported to us prior to repair, the repair will not be approved and will not be covered under the Contract. Nevertheless, notwithstanding that the Contract is in force, you are required to utilize the original manufacturer's warranty if it is still valid.